Sunday, May 8, 2011

Lets Get Shabby

Thanks so very much everyone for your beautiful messages, emails, texts and calls supporting me through this Mother's Day. It was awfully sad, but it meant the world to me knowing that I wasn't alone.
My brother ordered my mum some flowers, and I told dad to tell her they were from me when he put them on her grave ;)
She would have done the same.
She was tricky like that!

To help myself through the day, I scheduled nothing.
My kids made me some beautiful gifts, and my husband just quietly supported me all day long.
I scrapped a pic of my mumsy. Cheap therapy?
And I just loved this challenge from the Lets Get Shabby blog....to be inspired by this pic...
Who wouldn't be inspired???
I took quite a pastel approach to the colour combo...
I even tried to mute the polka dotted pink with a layer of muslin over the top...
Lots of big blooms, like in the inspiration pic :)
The photo is of my mum and her dad. My aunt had all mum's childhood slides converted to photos and made into a hardcover book not long before she died.
When I was up in Charter's Towers following mum's diagnosis, I sat with her one day flicking through the book, asking questions and listening to her talk and share her memories.
I loved this photo, and I asked her about it.
I thought that they had been candidly shot on their way home from a shopping trip.
Apparently not.
She smiled and said "its totally posed. Look the Cornflakes box is actually open".
Yep.
Not so candid, but no less precious.
I am so grateful that we sat and talked for that hour.

Happy Mother's Day to all you beautiful mums out there :)
Thanks for stopping by!

17 comments:

Leanne said...

{{hugs}} My love to you and your family. Your LO is beautiful but nearly as gorgeous as the story behind it!! ...x

Julie said...

Hugs Missy K. Just love your layout for shabby Missy K thanks for playing with us.

Kerryn said...

It's gorgeous Kirsty (not sure about the therapy being all that cheap though ;) ).

Some memories are just priceless. That time with your Mum, hearing her stories, is just one of those special times you can always treasure.
x

Anonymous said...

Happy Mothers Day Kirst!!I have been thinking of you and your family all day. You are very special to me and my family. I remember the photo of my Dad and your Mum. I wasn't there at the time but remember lots of talk about the posed photo. It was sort of a joke with emphasis on the "looking just so un-posed", "no one would ever know that it wasn't a true candid shot" Our Dad had a great sense of humour!! You remind me of him quite a lot!!
Suey

Camilla Ekman said...

Creating is absolutely therapy! Love your layout, Kirsty! Hugs!!!

Gayle Price said...

Love your page......love all the beautiful details..the little pin, the pearls, the blooms and the stitching. Thanks for joining in at Lets Get Shabby.

Karen Shady said...

Im was thinking of you yesturday my friend xx... LOL about that photo of your Mum and her Dad, the story made me giggle :) .....

Kate said...

i just love that to anyone else they would look at this photo and see a young girl with an older gentleman, outside the grocery store with groceries. but the meaning behind it is SO much more. i LOVE that you got to spend that time with your mum and her photos Kirst, so much history shared. xox

Nancy said...

Your page is precious :) love all the flowers and pearls--all of it!
So nice to have had the time to spend talking with your Mom. Good memories :)
Thanks so much for the kind words on my blog.

Janna Werner said...

Adorable, no more words needed! Love all the deatils! Jann

yumiko said...

Hi,Kirsty!!Your layout is so beautiful!!! The photo is also wonderful!! Thank you for playing along with us at Shabby!!!

Deb said...

This is beautiful, Kirsty and such a precious photo. You will remember that chat with your Mum forever and it will become more and more precious to you. Big Hugs.

Lene said...

Great layout ! Love all the details!

Thanks for playing along with us at shabby!

aina said...

So beautiful! Really like all your details on this.. Wish you a good week :-)

zandra said...

So pretty, great take on the challenge.
Hugz, Z

Vibeke said...

I love all your details!!
A lovely layout:)

Lene said...

Love this one and all your details !